Friday, October 30, 2009

Seasons bag: easy fall craft for elementary school kiddos

Today was the day! After three long weeks of waiting the five year olds got to bring a craft AND CANDY for the class to enjoy. The teachers gave me the priveledge of coming up with a "fall" craft. So today, each kiddo got to make a "seasons" bag. Here is the fun that went into the bags.
At home, my seven year old stamped the word seasons on an old scrap.
He used a small paint brush, a 2/$1.00 bottle of brown paint, and foam stamps. This could have easily been done in the classroom, but I hoped the teacher would let us craft again so I kept the paint at home. :)
While it was drying we cut rectangles of burlap and stitched up the sides to make bags. I love the look of the raveling top. Using a straight stitch we sewed the words to the front of each bag. I added little grommets so that the kiddos could choose their ribbon at school, but a simple piece of tape on the ribbon would work just as well.
The kit for each kiddo included a bag, leaves that I punched (with hole puncher), leaves that came with wire stems, and yarn with the ends taped (to allow for easy sewing). There were three ribbon choices for the straps. Just look at what those kiddos created!

1 comment: